Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AAK1

If I buy a house in VA for my unemployed spouse and student daughter (over 26), do I have to pay state tax on my foreign earned income?

I am trying to determine if purchasing a house for non-employed wife and a student dependent will result in state tax payments on my foreign earned income. My spouse will live in VA for less than 5.5 months a year in this house which will be in my and her name.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I buy a house in VA for my unemployed spouse and student daughter (over 26), do I have to pay state tax on my foreign earned income?

If you do not become a Virginia domicile or resident and have no Virginia income, you will not be required to file a Virginia tax return just because you own a home in Virginia.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If you do not become a Virginia domicile or resident and have no Virginia income, you will not be required to file a Virginia tax return just because you own a home in Virginia.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AAK1

TurboTaxMaryK1, thanks very much for your prompt response, appreciate it! I wonder how do I claim to be not domiciled in VA or a resident after purchasing a house in my name.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies