Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I built my own home in 2017 can I claim the energy star tax credits?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Below are the qualifications for the two types of energy credits.

• Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit: This tax credit is worth up to 10% of the purchase price of qualified home energy-efficient products between $50 and $500. In order to claim this credit, you must have purchased the qualified improvements and placed them into your existing, primary residence (not a new home) during the year. Learn about the home energy improvements that qualify for the credit. 
  • Residential Energy Property Credit: The Residential Energy Property Credit is worth up to 30% of the total cost of installing renewable energy sources in your home. You can claim this credit for a newly constructed home or a primary residence (except for fuel cells), but you must own the home to qualify for the credit (rentals do not count).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Below are the qualifications for the two types of energy credits.

• Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit: This tax credit is worth up to 10% of the purchase price of qualified home energy-efficient products between $50 and $500. In order to claim this credit, you must have purchased the qualified improvements and placed them into your existing, primary residence (not a new home) during the year. Learn about the home energy improvements that qualify for the credit. 
  • Residential Energy Property Credit: The Residential Energy Property Credit is worth up to 30% of the total cost of installing renewable energy sources in your home. You can claim this credit for a newly constructed home or a primary residence (except for fuel cells), but you must own the home to qualify for the credit (rentals do not count).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies