Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i bought a trailer to live in full time, does that qualify as buying a house on my taxes? How do I claim/file that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CathiM

If i bought a trailer to live in full time, does that qualify as buying a house on my taxes? How do I claim/file that?

A trailer can be your primary residence, entitling you to take advantage of the same tax deductions as a homeowner of a typical house. Your home-related itemized deductions, plus your other itemized deductions on Schedule A must add up to more than the standard deduction or you won't be able to use the deduction.  Here are the deductions you can take for your new home:

• Your property taxes. Don’t forget to include any taxes you may have reimbursed the seller for.  These are taxes the seller had already paid before you took ownership. You won't get a 1098 report listing these taxes. Instead, that amount will be shown on the settlement sheet.
  • The mortgage interest on your primary residence, as well as on a second residence. (There are limits, but relatively few taxpayers are affected.)
  • The interest on up to $100,000 borrowed on a home equity loan or home equity line of credit, regardless of the reason for the loan.
  • Points that you paid when you purchased the house (or those that you convinced the seller to pay for you).
  • Home improvements required for medical care.

Here is more information about taking the itemized deduction:

What is Schedule A?

The IRS lets you take either the standard deduction or the itemized deduction. If you itemize (about 1/3 of all taxpayers do), TurboTax automatically fill out Schedule A, Itemized Deductions and switch you over to the 1040 long form.

Schedule A lets you report certain deductible expenses like:

• Medical and dental costs above and beyond 10% of your AGI
  • State, local, real estate, and personal property taxes
  • Home mortgage interest and PMI
  • Charitable donations and gifts
  • Casualty or theft losses
  • Unreimbursed employee expenses above and beyond 2% of your AGI

You can't deduct the following payments for a personal residence:

• Dues to a homeowners association
  • Insurance on your home
  • Appraisal fees for your home
  • The cost of improvements to your home, except in the relatively rare case where they qualify as a medical expense. (But keep those receipts. They may help reduce your taxes when you sell your home.)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies