Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I borrowed money from a relive or friend to purchase my mobile home ,how do I claim it when none of the options pertain to me?

I meant relative
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If I borrowed money from a relive or friend to purchase my mobile home ,how do I claim it when none of the options pertain to me?

It depends.  If you have an amortization schedule to show the amount of mortgage interest paid, then the amount will be reported there.  This is considered a seller financed situation.  The seller must report the interest income and the buyer can deduct the home mortgage interest.

If your itemized deductions are higher than the standard deduction you will want to add your interest. Other most common deductions are real estate tax, school tax, local or state income tax, contributions.

Standard Deduction Amounts:

For single taxpayers and married individuals filing separately, the Standard Deduction is $13,850 in 2023.

For married couples filing jointly is $27,700, and  

For heads of households, the Standard Deduction is $20,800

  

If you're at least 65 years old or blind, you can claim an additional deduction in 2023 of:

• $1,850 for single or Head of Household
  • $1,500 for married or Qualified Surviving Spouse.

If you're both 65 and blind, the additional deduction amount is doubled. 

If you paid more than $600 in interest, then the seller is required to send you Form 1098.  Don't be concerned if you don't have it as long as you have the schedule of payments showing principal and interest. 

Report mortgage interest using the steps below.

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. Select Search, enter 1098, and select Jump to 1098. If that doesn't work:
    • Select either Tax Home or Federal, then Deductions & Credits.
    • Under Your Home (you may have to select See all tax breaks to find it), select Start or Revisit next to Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098).
  3. Answer Yes on the screen Did you pay any home loans in 2023?
  4. On the Let's import your tax info screen, enter the name of your lender to see if you can import your 1098.
    • If you can't or don't want to import, select Change how I enter my form to upload, take a picture of, or manually enter your 1098.
  5. Continue through the screens until your 1098 is added.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies