Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I am on a High Deductible Healthcare plan through work and part of that is an HSA account do I put the total amount I contributed to this account on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

If I am on a High Deductible Healthcare plan through work and part of that is an HSA account do I put the total amount I contributed to this account on my taxes?

A High Deductible Health Plan is a normal insurance policy, whose deductibles are higher than normal. The premiums that your employer pays for this plan can be found with code DD in box 12 of your W-2.

Any contributions that your employer makes to your HSA, as well as any contributions that you make through payroll deduction, can be found with code W in box 12 of your W-2. This code W amount is called the "employer's contribution" (yes, even though you contributed some of it through payroll deduction). Once you have entered your W-2, no part of the code W amount should be entered elsewhere in the HSA interview.

Any amount that you contributed to your HSA directly (i.e., NOT through your employer) is called a "personal" contribution and this should be entered separately in the HSA interview.

Now that you understand this, could you rephrase your question?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies