Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

raleja0

If crypto-currency is held as property, what type of investment should it be labeled as? I don't see an option for other.

Would Everything else be considered other even though it refers to liquidated distributions?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If crypto-currency is held as property, what type of investment should it be labeled as? I don't see an option for other.

"Everything else"
AmandaR1

Yes, you can select the 'everything else' category.

Just like stocks and bonds, you won't report crypto-currency you hold. Instead, you'll report each transaction you had under capital gains/losses (just like with stocks/bonds). You may not receive any tax form, but just like with capital asset sales, you can enter each sale of currency under capital gains and losses. 

A sale includes anytime you made a purchase with cryptocurrency or you made a trade. You'll report what you received as the "sale price" and what you originally paid for the cryptocurrency, as your cost basis.  

The difference will be a gain or loss, and the net result (with all investment activity) is taxed at preferential capital gain rates. This Forbes blog post provides a good explanation that you might find helpful:https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2018/01/09/what-you-need-to-know-about-taxes-cryptocur...

For instructions on entering into TurboTax please see the following FAQ (you won't see the words "crypto currency" anywhere but that's ok):https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4790340

Let me know if you have any questions. 

maglib
Level 11

personal use cryptocurrency must be reported on the personal section of everything else within the stocks, mutual funds area. If you use the crypto for purchasing goods and services, it is not investment.  Be careful.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies