Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am selling an inherited house from an Estate. The profits are to be split 3 ways with my 2 other siblings. We will end up with about 60,000 each How do we properly file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I am selling an inherited house from an Estate. The profits are to be split 3 ways with my 2 other siblings. We will end up with about 60,000 each How do we properly file

Your joint basis ( for all the inheritors together ) is FMV of the property on the date of demise of the decedent.   When you sell the property after a period, then you have to use that basis to determine ( either inheritors directly or the estate, depending on whom is doing the selling) the capital gain/loss and pay taxes on the gain.   Note that the tax is ONLY on the gain  and not the whole inheritence.

Does this answer your query or do you need more help?  If so please provide the FMV at death and the sales proceeds  after sales expenses such as  realesate commission, trannsfer taxes etc.

If all 3 of us are getting a separate check of 60,000 do we have to file the gain under the deceased name since it is an estate of our father or do we file on each of our personal taxes?

It is not part of the estate.  It has passed to each of you, and the transaction is reported on your personal income tax returns.
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Agreeing with @Zbucklyo , if the estate sells the prop and then distributes the proceeds to heirs, it often will pay all taxes on the gain and distribute post tax amount. It can also choose to do otherwise . Sometimes the estate ( especially when informal ) will act as if the property was jointly owned and the sale of the property may  result in taxes being owed / paid by one or all the inheritors.  In YOUR case however, it appears that the taxes have already been paid and therefore the check that you got is after taxes and therefore nothing to report.
Note that a trust/estate pays taxes using its own EIN.    
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies