Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

16lower

ICan I add all my repeated roof replacements to my basis? What other repeated structural improvements would qualify?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

ICan I add all my repeated roof replacements to my basis? What other repeated structural improvements would qualify?

How many times did your replace the roof? Was this due to casualty damage, or just normal wear and tear? Your own home, or a rental property?
16lower

I replaced it twice . Once as part of a major  remodel  and once as a result of wear and tear. I have seen one answer to the question on Bankrate which stated all repeated roof replacements were improvements because "These improvements provide continuing value by preserving the structure for future improvements." IRS may say the same thing  Pub 523 (2017) page 8 under Improvements Improvements......"prolong it's useful life."  Your opinion?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My opinion is that you, and Bankrate, are correct. You can add all the roof replacements to your basis. Pub. 523 specifically lists "new roof" as an improvement that can be added to basis (in the chart on page 9). Nevertheless, some people will argue otherwise. But there is certainly no question about the one that was "part of major remodel."

The usual interpretation is that improvements must still be part of the home.  If you made an addition and then knocked it down, you certainly can't get credit for it as part of your basis.  And if you replaced carpet 3 times, you only get the adjustment for the carpet that is still on the floor..

The argument about the structure preserving the life of the home is interesting, but do we need to think about different kinds of roof repairs?  Putting a second layer of shingles over the first layer is one thing, a tear off down to the roof structure is something else, and shoring up the roof structure before replacing the shingles would be something else again.  For example, in 1990 you add a second layer of shingles.  In 2010 you do a tear off down to the plywood and install one new layer of shingles.  Why would you think the 1990 shingles add to the basis?  They are no longer part of the house.  On the other hand, in 1990 you rebuild the roof and strengthen the structure, then in 2010 you add a second layer of shingles rather than doing  tear-off.  That structural work from 1990 is still benefitting you.

It's your tax return, and you don't send in proof unless audited, so keep your proofs and print out your argument and supporting proofs to save in case of that audit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies