Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked as a consultant under w2. I have travel and lodging expenses that are not company reimbursed.

I show w2 in personal however the on;y place i can show expenses against this is in self employed area.  is this correct for auto/travel expenses or is there a place in personal w2 area where i can list these 2 expenses?   Thank you
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

I worked as a consultant under w2. I have travel and lodging expenses that are not company reimbursed.

If you are an employee you should enter your business travel expenses as job-related expenses. You'll need to itemize deductions to claim these expenses, and they won't be fully deductible as they are subject to the 2% rule.

To enter your job-related travel expenses:

• Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type 2106.
  • In the results box, highlight 2106, then click GO.
  • You'll land on the page that says Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for. Enter your occupation and click Continue
  • Continue to answer the questions in this section. If you used your own vehicle for travel, answer Yes when asked Any Vehicle Expenses or Sales? and continue to answer the questions about your vehicle. If you didn't use your own vehicle, answer No and click Continue.
  • Continue through the interview. When you get to the Any Other Expenses? screen, you'll be able to enter travel expenses, such as airfare and lodging. Note that there are separate fields for entering parking and local transportation and meals. (Click the screenshot below for reference.)
  • After you enter your travel expenses, click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to the conclusion of this section. When you're finished, TurboTax will display the Job-Related Expenses Summary.

For more information about travel expenses, please see the FAQ below and IRS Pub 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses.

Deducting travel expenses  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300652

[Edited 04/08/2017]
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies