Solved: I was unemployed for part of the year 2016. Can I claim expenses related to looking for a job?

I was unemployed for part of the year 2016. Can I claim expenses related to looking for a job?

Yes, you can. You can deduct certain expenses you have paid in looking for a new job in your present occupation, even if you do not get a new job. You cannot deduct the job search expenses if you are looking for a job in a new occupation, there was a substantial break between the ending of your last job and you are looking for a new one, or you are looking for a job for the first time.

The expense include:
a. Employment and outplacement agency fees.
b. Amounts you spend for preparation and mailing copies of a resume.
c. Travel expenses if the trip is primarily to look for a new job.

The data entry in TurboTax:

• Wages & Income tab
  • Deductions and Credits tab
  • Employment Expenses, select “Job-Related Expenses” - follow the prompts; you will be ask for the occupation (enter the occupation for which you were interviewing)

The expense include:

The data entry in TurboTax:

• Wages & Income tab
  • Deductions and Credits tab