turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I was in an accident and recieved a settlement that paid my medical expenses and also gave me extra money. Do I claim that money or add those medical expenses to my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I was in an accident and recieved a settlement that paid my medical expenses and also gave me extra money. Do I claim that money or add those medical expenses to my taxes?

No.  You will generally neither claim the income nor the expenses.  However, if part of the settlement is for mental anguish or punitive types of damages, that portion must be included as income. (see below)  Since the settlement for injury is not taxed, you cannot take a tax deduction for the medical expenses paid by those fund.

Are legal settlements taxable?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4787698

If a portion (not sure of the exact amount) of the settlement money was for loss of wages, do I include this in my taxes?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies