Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to file my 2022 taxes. I was on F1 visa and had W2 income. I didn't own a home, didn't have medical expenses, or charitable donations to deduct. How do I file?

I am not eligible to buy any of the turbo tax products - deluxe, premier, home&business and business. I did not have any income in 2023. Please let me know how can I file taxes for 2022?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I want to file my 2022 taxes. I was on F1 visa and had W2 income. I didn't own a home, didn't have medical expenses, or charitable donations to deduct. How do I file?

Where is your citizenship?   In 2022, were you a "non-resident alien for tax purposes?"

What dates were you in the US?  And are you still here?

I'm not a tax person, but when you answer those questions, someone familiar with international filing should be able to help you.  @pk They can also help you with info on Form 8843.

NOTE:  If you are classified as a "non-resident alien for tax purposes," TurboTax does not prepare non-resident returns (Form 1040-NR).   But TurboTax is partnered with Sprintax (one "t"), a company that can prepare the return:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

I am Indian, I was on F1 Student visa in the US till July 8th 2022, non-resident alien for tax purposes. 
My student visa expired and I flew to India. I have had no income since 4th June 2022. 

@ agrimasaraf-runu wrote:

I am Indian, I was on F1 Student visa in the US till July 8th 2022, non-resident alien for tax purposes. 
My student visa expired and I flew to India. I have had no income since 4th June 2022. 

Sprintax website supposedly has live chat 24/7.   See the FAQ I left below.  If you talk to them, make sure they understand it is a 2022 return, and ask them if they can file such past-year return.

FAQ:  Does TurboTax handle Form 1040-NR for nonresident aliens?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-forms/turbotax-handle-form-1040-nr-n...

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@agrimasaraf-runu , following up from my colleague @mesquitebean , please could you answer at least the following questions:

(a) Which country are you from ( citizen / resident of  before coming to the USA );  when did you enter the country with F-1;  Was this your only entry during  prior  three years?

(b) Are you married  and if so to whom  ( US citizen / US GreenCard / Resident for tax purposes / Non-Resident Alien )?  Do you have any children  and if so were any born in the USA?

(c) During 2022 ( the year you are filing a return for ) how did you earn  income -- at school or school associated entity?  By W-2 , do you mean that they held taxes  ( Federal, State and FICA ) ?  Or was this An entity owned by you or a relative ?

As mentioned by @mesquitebean , TurboTax does not support preparation of  Non-Resident Alien   returns  ( usually using form 1040-NR ).  Many schools, SprinTax, tax professionals  and many volunteer groups  provide this service.  You can even down load the forms from IRS and fill out  ( most are .pdf and therefore easily dealt with  your laptop ).

Please answer  my questions and provide any additional information that you think is important and we can help you prepare the forms.  I say this because most 1040-NR of students is quite simple to deal with.

I will circle back once I hear from  you 

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies