Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want my Dependent Care FSA taxed so I can claim 2x the Child Care Credit (Federal and PA). Can I add it to my income?

Midway through 2023, Pennsylvania changed its version of the Dependent Care Credit to be a 100% match of the federal Dependent Care Credit. This offers us a potential tax credit of $2400 ($1200 x 2). The problem is that we opted to contribute $5000 in pre-tax dollars to our dependent care FSA because at the time, the tax savings from the FSA was the better deal. But now that PA has changed its rules, I am wondering whether I can pay taxes on the $5000 contributed to our FSA after the fact, perhaps by adding $5000 to Boxes 1, 3, and 5 of my W-2. Is this allowed? Is there a better method?

A couple more details, for those interested... We have over $12,000 in daycare expenses for two children ($5000 of which were paid by the FSA), so we'd definitely max out the Dependent Care Credit without the FSA contributions. Also, PA taxes DCFSA contributions, so we only save on federal and FICA taxes by making pre-tax contributions to the FSA. I ran the numbers and with PA's change, we would get roughly $1000 more once we file. Any advice on how to "change my mind" after the fact would be appreciated. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

I want my Dependent Care FSA taxed so I can claim 2x the Child Care Credit (Federal and PA). Can I add it to my income?

You should have received a form showing the distribution from the FSA and that distribution is non-taxable if you tell the system that you used it for child care.  If you tell the system that you did not use it for child care it becomes taxable and is not applied to the child care that you paid for.  That may mean changing the distribution code on the form.

@NAnspach 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies