I've lived in a foreign country, but keep asking for the state tax to be filed. What should I do?

I used to be a MA resident, but lived outside of US more than two years. Now it is my first time file through Turbo being a person live outside of USA (as a bona fid resident).

MargaretL

When going through the Personal Info section in TurboTax, please select Foreign or U.S. Possessions as your state residence. That will eliminate your state filing. Please note, that if you have any income from MA, you may be required to file a Nonresident state return. You would select MA in the section that asks if you made money in another state.

Nonresidents are required to file income tax returns with Massachusetts if their Massachusetts gross income (derived from sources within Massachusetts) exceeds either $8,000 or the prorated personal exemption to which they are entitled, whichever is less.

MargaretL

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing