Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used cash-out refinance money last year to buy a new primary residence that I am currently live. May I deduct mortgage interest from cashout refinance in my Schedule A?

How to handle mortgage interest from a cashout refinance that was used to buy a new primary resident?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I used cash-out refinance money last year to buy a new primary residence that I am currently live. May I deduct mortgage interest from cashout refinance in my Schedule A?

Since you still own, and did not sell or dispose of, the first primary home that you got the cash out refinance, then yes, you may be able to deduct the mortgage interest. 

You can deduct mortgage interest on a second home as an itemized deduction if it meets all the requirements for deducting mortgage interest.

Mortgage interest can only be claimed on a maximum of two homes (main home and a second home).

[Edited 04-13-23|6:19 AM PST]

@Changyingd 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

If I understand the question correctly, you refinanced a property that is not your primary residence, and used the funds to purchase what is now your primary residence.  If so, you cannot deduct the interest on your tax return, as the mortgage loan is not secured by your primary residence.   

Hi David, thank you for such a quick response. Actually the house that I got cash-out refinance from was my primary resident last year. Then I took out some money from that refinance to buy a new primary resident for me to stay now. So the old house now is my 2nd home. Because of that cashout refinance, I have no mortgage interest from my new house, while my old house has big mortgage interest. So in this situation, can I deduct this cashout mortgage interest in my Schedule A?

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Since you still own, and did not sell or dispose of, the first primary home that you got the cash out refinance, then yes, you may be able to deduct the mortgage interest. 

You can deduct mortgage interest on a second home as an itemized deduction if it meets all the requirements for deducting mortgage interest.

Mortgage interest can only be claimed on a maximum of two homes (main home and a second home).

[Edited 04-13-23|6:19 AM PST]

@Changyingd 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies