Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I use the foreign income exclusion since I live and work in France. I wanted to contribute to my Roth IRA, but your software wouldn't let me. I think I am able to dothis?

I would like to contribute to my IRA, but it shows no earned income because of this exclusion for foreign income. Can I legally contribute to my Roth IRA?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I use the foreign income exclusion since I live and work in France. I wanted to contribute to my Roth IRA, but your software wouldn't let me. I think I am able to dothis?

If you exclude all your income, you cannot contribute to an IRA. If you using the physical presence test you could use a different, vlid period and leave some income unexcluded. However, if you are planning on staying in France for retirement, it might not be a good idea to invest in a ROTH IRA as the distributions (earning) might be taxable in France anyway.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you exclude all your income, you cannot contribute to an IRA. If you using the physical presence test you could use a different, vlid period and leave some income unexcluded. However, if you are planning on staying in France for retirement, it might not be a good idea to invest in a ROTH IRA as the distributions (earning) might be taxable in France anyway.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies