Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I took the standard deduction for my federal return. Why did Turbo Tax not ask for unreimbursed medical expenses for my state return?

When I took the standard deduction, the portion for unreimbursed medical expenses was automatically skipped. Seems like Turbo Tax would still ask for this data when I completed the state return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

I took the standard deduction for my federal return. Why did Turbo Tax not ask for unreimbursed medical expenses for my state return?

Which state?  Did you enter your unreimbursed medical expenses into the program?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State of New Mexico. I selected the standard deduction in the federal return portion of Turbo Tax so the program did not ask for unreimbursed medical expenses. The state of New Mexico allows for those expenses but Turbo Tax did not give me the option to enter. 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Typically itemized deductions for state tax returns must be entered as you go through the Federal return.  This is true regardless of whether you used the standard deduction or itemized deductions on your Federal return.  The information entered on the Federal return is transferred automatically to your state return and utilized if needed.

Try revisiting the medical expense section on your Federal return to enter your information.  Then you may need to go through the New Mexico state return again to be sure that the information has transferred.  

@Sweet-Pea86 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies