turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cankubra

I think Property Tax credit is calculated wrong in the form!

The form automatically calculates $50 property tax credit for me; however I am part-year resident, less than two months in NJ, and NJportal.com says that "you can claim a deduction or credit for property taxes or 18% of rent due and paid during the time you were a resident. Prorate the $50 based on the number of months you occupied your New Jersey residence". So I belive that there should not be credit for me. But I can not remove it, it fills out automatically.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I think Property Tax credit is calculated wrong in the form!

Do you have your residency dates set up in TurboTax correctly?   See Preparing Part-year Returns, entering residency  TurboTax needs to know that you were only in NJ for two months.  

Homeowners and renters who pay property taxes on a primary residence (main home) in New Jersey, either directly or through rent, may qualify for either a deduction or a refundable credit when filing an Income Tax return. The property tax deduction reduces your taxable income. You can deduct your property taxes paid or $15,000, whichever is less. 

For renters, 18% of rent paid during the year is considered property taxes paid. Keep in mind that the amount of property taxes paid that you can deduct depends on a number of factors, such as the number of owners or units. Visit Determining the Amount of Property Taxes Paid for more information.  TurboTax takes all of these factors into consideration when preparing your state return.  

Use the NJ Assistant, linked here, to see if you qualify.  Answer YES to start the assistant.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies