Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I take out $7750 as a family for my HSA for the year. It is saying I’m only allowed to take out 7050 for the year and I’m over $700. How can I get around this ?

I don’t want to be taxed the $700 nor do I want to be audited.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

I take out $7750 as a family for my HSA for the year. It is saying I’m only allowed to take out 7050 for the year and I’m over $700. How can I get around this ?

May I assume that you did not have unconflicted HDHP coverage in December? That is, when you enter the months that you had Family HDHP coverage, that you marked December as Medicare or None?

If so, you don't "get around this".

If my assumption above is correct - and please tell me if it's not - then you need to contact your HSA custodian before April 15, 2024 and request the "withdrawal of excess contributions" (use this exact phrase), or look on the custodian's website for the form to do this online.

This will solve the excess contribution problem. If the excess came from the code W amount in box 12 on your W-2, the HSA custodian will send you a check for the 700 (or whatever it is). Yes, the 700 will be added to your income, but since you are getting a check in the mail, you'll be able to cover the extra tax.

You will also receive at some point in 2024 a 1099-SA with a distribution code of 2. This is for the earnings that your excess earned while in your HSA. You will add this to your 2024 tax return (remember we are still doing your 2023 tax return now).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies