Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I spent $9K on energy-efficient windows (not including labor, installation) in 2023 and Turbotax says I qualify for a $0 tax credit. Why not the full $600?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MayaD
Expert Alumni

I spent $9K on energy-efficient windows (not including labor, installation) in 2023 and Turbotax says I qualify for a $0 tax credit. Why not the full $600?

Both the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit and the Residential Clean Energy Property Credit are nonrefundable personal tax credits. A nonrefundable credit can only  decrease or eliminate your tax liability. You will not receive a tax refund for any amount that exceeds your tax liability for the year.

Revisit the Home Energy Credits in The Deductions and Credits section to make sure you have answered the questions correctly:

1. On the screen Energy Efficient Home Improvements, answer Yes 
  2. Answer the questions related to your home. 
  3. On the screen, Did you have any of these residential clean energy costs in 2023? Select No 
  4. Next, select Yes to Did you have any of these qualified energy efficiency improvements in 2023?
  5. Next, to qualify for the credit, Qualified Energy Efficiency Improvements must be made to your main home and should not be related to the construction of new home, and, you should be the original user. The improvements need to be expected to be in use for 5 years to qualify for energy credits. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies