Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold my small business in 2021. On installment payments. Is it considered a "Seller Financed Mortgage"?

I have only received 2 small payments.  one in 2021 and one in 2022.  I did not fill in the info as "Seller Financed Mortgage" so no name was listed as buyer.  Now the first buyer has defaulted and resold to another party, which has signed a new agreement with me to finish the payoff.  Each year a 6252 and 4797 were generated.  Is this considered a Seller Financed Mortgage and if so why didn't TT flag it as a problem when I didn't report a  buyer name?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I sold my small business in 2021. On installment payments. Is it considered a "Seller Financed Mortgage"?

A seller financed mortgage is typically associated with the sale of a residence. Since you sold a business, this would not be considered seller financed, even though it remains an installment sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

A seller financed mortgage is typically associated with the sale of a residence. Since you sold a business, this would not be considered seller financed, even though it remains an installment sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Patricia,  I had assumed that was the case and also the reason TT let me file it that way the last two years. I don't think the IRS cares who is paying me (or not paying me) as the case may be.  lol

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies