Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vando5150

I sold my primary residence in 2018 and it wants my expenses for when I bought the house in 2001. Why is that necessary?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I sold my primary residence in 2018 and it wants my expenses for when I bought the house in 2001. Why is that necessary?

It's asking because certain closing costs are added to the purchase price to determine your cost basis, which is used to determine any gain.   If it was your primary residence and your are eligible to exclude the gain without it (or you have a loss) , you can enter zero.  If the program doesn't want to accept 0.00, then enter 1.00  If you have a taxable gain on the sale you would want to include the costs to reduce your gain.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

It's asking because certain closing costs are added to the purchase price to determine your cost basis, which is used to determine any gain.   If it was your primary residence and your are eligible to exclude the gain without it (or you have a loss) , you can enter zero.  If the program doesn't want to accept 0.00, then enter 1.00  If you have a taxable gain on the sale you would want to include the costs to reduce your gain.

vando5150

Thank you.  I don't even know where to look for paperwork I did 18 years ago.  All I know is that our total profit after loan payoff was 91k and I'm filing jointly.  Is all of the paperwork required?  I have my final seller's statement and the 1099-S.  
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Are you eligible to exclude the gain?  Did you live there two out of the last five years and you haven't taken an exclusion for sale of a residence in past two years?
vando5150

Lived there for 18 years non-stop.  Haven't sold any real estate since 1999.  
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Unless your gain is more than $500,000 you don't need t worry about it.  I believe you said it was 91K, so no worries!
vando5150

I just leave that blank?  Even if I got a 1099-S?
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You still have to report the sale.  But you will exclude the gain, as you are selling your primary residence.  But you don't have to include expenses (e.g. closing costs) in your cost basis.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies