Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold a home last year and understand that the taxes will be based on a cost basis of the home but I have no idea what that is.

I sold my primary residence last year and would like to know what the cost basis for any gains.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

I sold a home last year and understand that the taxes will be based on a cost basis of the home but I have no idea what that is.

The cost basis of your home is what you paid for it, plus any major improvements and minus certain adjustments. 

If you still have the closing document from when you bought the home, that will have most of the information that you need.

You start with the price you paid for the home. These are things from your closing document that you can add to your basis:

• Abstract fees (abstract of title fees),
  • Charges for installing utility services,
  • Legal fees (including fees for the title search and preparing the sales contract and deed),
  • Recording fees,
  • Survey fees,
  • Transfer or stamp taxes, and
  • Owner's title insurance.

Improvements can be added to your basis as well, but not maintenance and repairs. Improvements are things that increase the value of your home like a kitchen renovation, or a new roof. They don't include things like patching walls and painting, which are repairs. For more details about calculating your home's basis, follow this link. 

If you ever used your home for business or rental purposes, you will need to recapture your depreciation

Most people can exclude up to $250,000 ($500,000 on a joint return) of gain on their home if they lived in the home for at least 2 or the 5 years before the sale. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies