mricker

I referee soccer games and receive 1099-Misc income. Deduct mileage and registration fees. Can I also deduct the cost of referee uniforms?

New uniforms came out in 2016 and had to purchase many of them - am hopeful I can use them as a deduction.

TomD8

Yes - you can deduct as a business expense on your Schedule C, uniforms that are required for your work and not suitable for everyday use (not usable as street clothes).  Referee uniforms would qualify under these guidelines.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
L8fsasoccer

Hi. I know it is in Part II Expenses, but which line?

MayaD

To deduct the cost of the uniforms follow the steps below:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Go to Income and Expenses.
  3. Go to Self Employment Income.
  4. Scroll down to Expenses and click Add more Expenses.
  5. Select Other miscellaneous expenses and click continue.
  6. Type Uniforms and enter the amount.