Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received foreign property (more than100k) and cash gift (aggregated to 48k) in 2023 from my mom, do I list them all in 54b? For cash gift, what can I put on description?

My mom gifted a house and send some cash gift   to bank account in 2023. I know that I need to file 3520. For the cash gift, the cash was splitted and sent in Feb, Mar, May, and June totaling of 48k. Do I list the cash gift in as a whole amount or list them separately by date? On the description of cash gift, what should I put ( would" received wire transfer from parent" be acceptable?)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I received foreign property (more than100k) and cash gift (aggregated to 48k) in 2023 from my mom, do I list them all in 54b? For cash gift, what can I put on description?

You could write "Feb-June 2024", or ‌use the June date.  I know there's not a lot of room in that space but you could also separate the dates by commas such as " 2/1, 3/10, 5/1, 2024".  They are mainly looking here for a date in 2024 to indicate that you've filed the form timely.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I would list the cash gift once, using the total of the gift.  Your description is fine - anything that gives the general nature of the gift and that will make sense to you later when you're looking at the form works well.  This is on the off-chance you're asked about it later, you want it to be clear to you what it is/was so that you could explain it. 

For gifts and inheritances you are just filling out the top of the form through line 1k, and then Part IV, Line 54.  Then be sure to sign and date it at the bottom of page 6 before mailing to:

Internal Revenue Service
PO BOX 409101

Ogden, UT 84409 

if I list it once as a total, what date should I put in date of gift? Feb or Mar or May or June?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You could write "Feb-June 2024", or ‌use the June date.  I know there's not a lot of room in that space but you could also separate the dates by commas such as " 2/1, 3/10, 5/1, 2024".  They are mainly looking here for a date in 2024 to indicate that you've filed the form timely.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies