Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

davdig

I received 2 Form 1098s because my mortgage was sold in 2023. Schedule A is only showing $ values from one. Can you tell me how to get the $ values from both 1098s in A?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

I received 2 Form 1098s because my mortgage was sold in 2023. Schedule A is only showing $ values from one. Can you tell me how to get the $ values from both 1098s in A?

When a loan is sold to another lender, it’s not the same as a refinance, but you’ll still need to enter each 1098 separately. Follow the steps below for this situation.

Enter the original (sold) loan first:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and select Pick up where you left off or Review/Edit under Deductions & Credits.
  2. Select Show more next to Your Home and Start or Revisit next to Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098).
  3. Answer Did you pay any home loans in 2023? and Continue.
  4. You can either sign in to your financial institution and import your 1098 forms, or select Change how I enter my form.
  5. Next, you can either upload a digital copy or Type it in myself.
  6. Continue through and be sure to enter this 1098 exactly as it appears.
  7. Answer the questions, and when you get to the Let's see if this is the most recent form for this loan screen, answer No to Is the 1098 you're working on now the most recent for your loan?.
  8. On the next Let's get some details about this loan screen, answer Yes to Is this the original loan you used to buy your property?
  9. Select Continue to be taken back to the Your 1098 info so far screen.

Then enter the 1098 for the new loan

1. On the Your 1098 info so far screen, select Add another 1098 and continue through to either import or enter your information manually.
  2. Answer the questions accordingly and complete your 1098 info exactly as it appears on your form.
  3. On the Let's see if this is the most recent form for this loan screen, answer Yes to Is the 1098 you're working on now the most recent for your loan?
  4. On the next Let's get some details about this loan screen, answer Yes to Is this the original loan you used to buy your property? Even though the loan is with a new lender, it's still considered the original loan for this calculation.
  5. When you're all done, you'll see both your forms on the Your 1098 info so far screen. You can Continue through to finish and file your return.

See this TurboTax help article for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
davdig

Hello and thank you for your quick response.  The problem that I am seeing is that I have entered both 1098 forms (one showing $1,170 and one showing $12,204 in mortgage interest paid, to two different mortgage servicing companies); however, TurboTax is only showing $1,170 in my Schedule A on line 8a,  When I click on the $1,170 on line 8a, a box pops up showing the two different company names who sent me the 1098 forms.  I can click on each one, opening a worksheet that shows their respective $ amounts.  I can't figure out why TurboTax is not showing the combined $13,374 on Schedule A, line 8a.  Can you help me figure that out? 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

It's possibly your mortgage balance.  You are only allowed to deduct mortgage interest on your first $750,000 in housing debt.  Any amount over that and the mortgage interest is not deductible.  Since you received two 1098s on the same mortgage it is doubling your mortgage debt.  If this is the problem then just change the amount of debt in box 2 of the 1098 that was sold to a new servicer to zero.  Since it was sold the debt actually was reduced to zero and that is accurate.  That should fix the problem.

@davdig 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies