Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I qualified for $1235 in business expenses, so why is it now suggesting I take the standard deduction?

As a self-employed person, I was able to take $1235 in business expenses. Is this the same as itemized deductions? Am I still able to take the standard deduction in addition to my business expenses?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I qualified for $1235 in business expenses, so why is it now suggesting I take the standard deduction?

If you are self-employed, you would take these deductions on Schedule C or C-EZ.  This is separate from the itemized deductions for business which is usually for someone who works for someone else and doesn't get reimbursed for it. 

You are eligible to take the businesses expenses on the Sched. C or C-EZ AND the standard deduction that everyone filing is eligible for. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are self-employed, you would take these deductions on Schedule C or C-EZ.  This is separate from the itemized deductions for business which is usually for someone who works for someone else and doesn't get reimbursed for it. 

You are eligible to take the businesses expenses on the Sched. C or C-EZ AND the standard deduction that everyone filing is eligible for. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies