Solved: I purchased and installed a 5000WATT standby generator and transfer switch for my home. May I write the cost off for the purchase and installation?

I purchased and installed a 5000WATT standby generator and transfer switch for my home. May I write the cost off for the purchase and installation?

Unfortunately, there's no general legal basis for a deduction for a backup generator.  The only possible reason that comes to mind is if someone in your home has medical equipment that cannot lose power; if that were the case, there could be a medical expense deduction if you itemize your deductions.  Otherwise, this is a personal expense that can't be deducted.