Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I prepaid my 2018 property tax on top of 2017's one in 2017. I added 2018's one in "additional property tax on your main home" section, but Federal tax remains same.Why?

I live in Ohio and prepaid property tax around $6000 for 2018 at the end of 2017, on top of 2017 property tax already paid in early 2017.  In turbo tax, I added 2018's property tax in the deductable section, "additional property tax on your main home" field, since 2017 property tax seemed to be already counted.  I itemized the deduction, so I expected an increase of my tax return, but total amount of Federal or Ohio tax return did not change.  Why...?  Isn't it counted as deduction...?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I prepaid my 2018 property tax on top of 2017's one in 2017. I added 2018's one in "additional property tax on your main home" section, but Federal tax remains same.Why?

No, with Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) property tax is not deductible. 

To learn more about AMT, take a look at Alternative Minimum Tax: Common Questions.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

AMT?

Yes, AMT is applied.  Then the property tax would not be deducted...?  Probably I do not fully understand what would happen when AMT applied...
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, with Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) property tax is not deductible. 

To learn more about AMT, take a look at Alternative Minimum Tax: Common Questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies