turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid my mother who is over 65 for child care at her house $8200, she also receives SSA. Does she have to file a return and can I claim the child care credit?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it for us to claim the child care credit while not affecting her return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I paid my mother who is over 65 for child care at her house $8200, she also receives SSA. Does she have to file a return and can I claim the child care credit?

Yes, she will have to file a tax return and claim the income, her age is of no importance. She will have to pay Self-Employment tax on the income. That will be 15.3% of 92.35% of the $8,200. She has to file and pay that even if she does not owe any ordinary income tax. Personal exemptions/deductions have absolutely on effect on the Self-Employment tax. If you claim the credit you will have to supply her SSN and that will enable the IRS to check her tax return to make sure that she reports the income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, she will have to file a tax return and claim the income, her age is of no importance. She will have to pay Self-Employment tax on the income. That will be 15.3% of 92.35% of the $8,200. She has to file and pay that even if she does not owe any ordinary income tax. Personal exemptions/deductions have absolutely on effect on the Self-Employment tax. If you claim the credit you will have to supply her SSN and that will enable the IRS to check her tax return to make sure that she reports the income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies