Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbc1522

I paid for my Colorado return with my HSA card by mistake. How can I correct this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

I paid for my Colorado return with my HSA card by mistake. How can I correct this?

If the HSA custodian will accept it, you can make a repayment of the mistaken HSA distribution and it will not be reported as a distribution on your 2017 Form 1099-SA.

Otherwise, if you are still within 60 days of the distribution, you can roll over the distribution back to the same HSA account or to a different HSA account as long as you did not roll over any other HSA distribution in the 12 months prior to the distribution from your HSA used to pay for you Colorado tax return.  The distribution will be reported on your 2017 Form 1099-R but the rollover of this amount will make the distribution nontaxable.  The one-rollover-per-12-months rule will prevent you from rolling over another HSA distribution made in the 12 months following the date of the distribution used to pay for your Colorado tax return.

Finally, you might be able to get TurboTax customer service to reverse your original payment by crediting your HSA debit card (resulting in a repayment of a mistaken HSA distribution as indicated in the first paragraph above) and pay with a different method, but this is probably the method with the most potential for error.  To contact TurboTax customer support see the following answer and enter "Billing" as the subject of your question:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300041

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies