Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

myrnaez
Returning Member

I own my own home and have a home office. I depreciate home (percentage applied for home office). I purchased stand-alone generator. Should I depreciate or expense"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

I own my own home and have a home office. I depreciate home (percentage applied for home office). I purchased stand-alone generator. Should I depreciate or expense"

The question of whether to depreciate or expense would be entirely up to you and what the potential tax savings may be.  Since you state this was for a home office, you must determine if expensing the item, after the percentage allocation to the office, will yield a loss on your Schedule C.  Home office expenses cannot add to the expense of the business to generate a loss; the most home office expenses can do is reduce the income to zero.  If expensing will have the business show a loss, then depreciation without the special added depreciation will probably be the solution.

Also, what did the generator cost?  Was it less than $2,500?  If so the allocation to the home office will suggest you expense the amount as supplies or some such other component.  You should first complete your Schedule C before adding the generator and determining your income status.  If after you determine the income amount, you will decide whether to depreciate or expense.  

Some questions you need to ask yourself also:  As you are filing a Schedule C, remember that in addition to income tax you also have self-employment tax of approximately 15% and will the 2 separate taxes warrant a quick write off?  Is this an up year or down year income wise?  If an up year you may want to expense.  If a down year you may want to depreciate to save some to be able to expense for future years.

Like I said at the beginning, the decision is yours but needs to be determined based on the current or potential future tax savings.

@myrnaez 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies