Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need help with adding an amount to Line 60b? It answer the questions under the Repayment of Homebuyer Credit but never get to the right spot to add a value

I previously file form 5405 in 2011 when I sold the home. I having been paying this back annually since 2011. when I try to get an amount for this year it won't add anything. I am going to "Home" then "Homebuyer Credit Repayment" and then I answer Yes to the 2nd option, that we received and the home stopped being our main home on or before Dec 31st 2018. But then I hit continue and nothing else happens. I assume it was going to ask when the home was sold, how much of the credit has been previously paid, etc, but nothing else happens, it just takes me right back to the main Deductions and Credit screen. I have used the IRS lookup and I know how much Credit was owed, how much has been paid and how much is left to pay. I just can't seem to get the amount into Line 60b
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I need help with adding an amount to Line 60b? It answer the questions under the Repayment of Homebuyer Credit but never get to the right spot to add a value

When you sold the home or moved out of the home in 2011, you were supposed to file form 5405 that reported that you sold or moved out, and depending on the financial circumstances, you either owed a full repayment at that time, or no repayment, or maybe some thing in between. But ever since then, you have owed nothing.  Unfortunately, you have been paying money that you did not owe and you will probably never get most of it back.

if the IRS e-file system is demanding a payment, that means that form 5405 was never recorded in their system in 2011. Either you did not file it as required, or it was not recorded properly on your account.

There are a number of steps that you will need to take in order to straighten this out.  This forum is not really the best place to go into detail on everything you will need to do. You may want to find a professional tax advisor to help you.

First of all, you need to find a copy of your 2011 tax return to see what you actually filed, and you need to get your 2011 tax transcript from the IRS to find out if what you filed was recorded properly.   The IRS may not currently be able to send you a 2011 transcript because it is too old for the online system and they are not processing paper forms due to the coronavirus.

If you correctly filed in 2011 and did not owe anything and that fact was not captured in your record, then it may be possible to get the $500 excess repayments credited to your account. You would need to contact the taxpayer advocate.  You could only get refunds on the 2017 and 2018 tax returns by filing amended tax returns, so it would be worth it to pursue with the taxpayer Advocate whether the earlier payments can be credited to your account since you never owed them.

if you didn’t file form 5405 correctly, then you need to file an amended return for 2011 now and attach that form. It will calculate whether you owe a full, no, or partial repayment. If you owe a repayment, you may be able to claim your 2011 through 2018 payments as credit toward what you owe.

For your 2019 tax return, you don’t owe a repayment either way, but since the IRS thinks you do, the e-file system is blocking you and you will need to print your return and file by mail without making a repayment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies