turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ksage614

I’m in a contract for deed and pay the property tax, do I click on own a home or rent for my taxes?

Do I own a home if I’m in a contract for deed?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I’m in a contract for deed and pay the property tax, do I click on own a home or rent for my taxes?

Since the seller still retained legal title to the property under a contract for deed, you will be considered a renter until the contract for deed obligation is fulfilled.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DS30

Since the seller still retained legal title to the property under a contract for deed, you will be considered a renter until the contract for deed obligation is fulfilled.

friendcal

Wait a minute! I am selling a home on a contract for deed. One year, TurboTax listed it as an installment sale; the following year, it was treated differently. Now I read that I'm supposed to be treating it as a rental?!? They pay the mortgage, insurance, utilities and property tax. Is that correct that I should be reporting it as a rental?!?!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies