Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

captken

I'm entering itemized deductions. Can I deduct the cost of special clothing used uniquely for Church service?

I provide volunteer service in a Mormon Temple.  It's necessary that I wear all white clothing including a suit and tie.  Are the costs of these items that I do not wear for any other occasion tax deductible?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I'm entering itemized deductions. Can I deduct the cost of special clothing used uniquely for Church service?

Not likely, sorry. The IRS requires that clothing be uniforms. Requiring certain colors doesn't make attire a uniform, and it also doesn't matter if the clothing is your style.

You could include any vestments or liturgical garments, but not simply white clothes or a suit.

The IRS only permits a deduction of uniforms or abnormal attire. Uniforms never include a suit and tie, as the clothes must be completely unwearable/ unsuitable outside of work. Acceptable work-related clothing would include scrubs, police and fire attire, costumes, and the like.

Volunteer expenses can be found around page 5-

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Not likely, sorry. The IRS requires that clothing be uniforms. Requiring certain colors doesn't make attire a uniform, and it also doesn't matter if the clothing is your style.

You could include any vestments or liturgical garments, but not simply white clothes or a suit.

The IRS only permits a deduction of uniforms or abnormal attire. Uniforms never include a suit and tie, as the clothes must be completely unwearable/ unsuitable outside of work. Acceptable work-related clothing would include scrubs, police and fire attire, costumes, and the like.

Volunteer expenses can be found around page 5-

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies