Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm eligible for $2000 child care credit. I did send my kid to day care, is that day care expenses eligible for tax benefit ?Is this tax benefit aditional to $2000 credit

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I'm eligible for $2000 child care credit. I did send my kid to day care, is that day care expenses eligible for tax benefit ?Is this tax benefit aditional to $2000 credit

The Child and Dependent Care credit is different from and separate from the Child Tax Credit (which is for having a child dependent, regardless of care.)

To claim the Child and Dependent Care credit, you must pay for day care for your child (under age 13) so that you (and your spouse if married) can work, or look for work, or be a full time student.  For most taxpayers, the credit is 20% of eligible expenses (slightly higher for lower income taxpayers).   Eligible expenses are up to $3000 for the care of one child and up to $6000 for the care of two or more children.  So the credit will be $600 or $1200 for most taxpayers.  You must provide the name, address and tax number of the care provider, so you can't pay them under the table and still get the credit.

If you have the option of paying for child care using a flexible spending account at work (FSA benefit) that almost always lowers your tax more than the credit.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies