Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

feltet5

I'm a nurse, can i deduct my mileage back and forth from work

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
HelenaC

If the only work-related use of your car is commuting back and forth between your home and main workplace, do not enter any vehicle mileage or expenses. The IRS doesn't let employees deduct commuting costs.

You're allowed to deduct commuting expenses between multiple job sites during the same day. For example, if you go directly from your day job to your evening job, you can deduct the commute between those 2 job sites. But if you first go home and then leave to go to your second job, that can't be deducted.

If you travel to and from a temporary work location (where your assignment is expected to last no more than 1 year) outside your metropolitan area, you can claim commuting expenses. You can also claim commuting expenses to and from a temporary work site, regardless of location, as long as your main workplace is elsewhere.

You can only deduct mileage if you keep a written log of your miles otherwise you can't deduct mileage. Per IRS, you have to have adequate evidence. See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch05.html .

The IRS considers adequate evidence as a log of  "who, what, when, and where" which may include the following:

• The cost of the car and any improvements,
  • The date you started using it for business,
  • The mileage for each business use,
  • The total miles for the year.
  • Date of the expense.
  • Your business destination.
  • Business purpose for the expense. 

If you are self-employed (Schedule C), enter/edit your vehicle's mileage:

• Log on to TurboTax and click on the orange button, Take me to my return.
  • Type vehicle expenses, self-employed business in the search/find box and click search.
  • Click on Jump to vehicle expenses, self-employed business.
  • Edit your business.
  • At the 'Your xxxx Business' screen, scroll down to Business Expenses.
  • Click start/update next to Business Vehicle Expense.
  • Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the 'How Do You Want to Enter Your Mileage for your vehicle'. 

If you are an employee, vehicle (Job-related) expenses  are reported on Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses).

• Log on to TurboTax and click on the orange button, Take me to my return.
  • Type vehicle expenses, employee in the search box and click search..
  • Click the Jump to vehicle expenses, employee link in the search results.
  • At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation.
  • Click Continue, and follow the onscreen instructions.
  • If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen instead, you can either Edit expenses for an existing job or click Add Another Occupation to enter expenses for a new one.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you are referring to an employee-related expense ( Form W-2), you won't be able to deduct this year, unfortunately. 

Due to the new tax reform TCJA, Congress suspended the whole section of the miscellaneous deductions on Schedule A that are subject to 2% of your AGI including the job-related expenses.  For tax years after 2017, unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer deductible.

If you are self-employed, see the answer from HelenaC from above. 

@feltet5

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies