Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived in the US from Jan 2017 to May 2019 on a J1 visa, then moved to the UK. I'm a resident (for taxes) in 2019, but do I have to report foreign income as a J1 visa?

I'm from Brazil, and am in the UK on a Tier 2 working visa. I will not return to the US (to live/work) in a foreseeable future.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

I lived in the US from Jan 2017 to May 2019 on a J1 visa, then moved to the UK. I'm a resident (for taxes) in 2019, but do I have to report foreign income as a J1 visa?

If you were a J1 Scholar and only considered a nonresident for 2 years (2017 and 2018) , you would start counting your US days of presence from January 1, 2019.  As you left the US in May, you were not in the US 183 days in 2019, so you would be considered a nonresident in 2019.

TurboTax does not support nonresident tax returns.  We suggest you contact Sprintax  as they can help you with nonresident filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In 2017 I was a nonresident and filled taxes with sprintax but that was not the case for 2018: I filled as a resident for tax purposes. Would the same apply?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you were a US resident in 2018, then you will need to file a resident return for 2019.  You can either file a dual status return (part year resident and part year nonresident) or you can file a resident return for calendar year 2019 and claim your worldwide income.  You can use the foreign tax credit  from the UK to help offset any US taxes.  The UK tax rate is higher than the US tax so I would imagine all your UK income would be excluded from tax on your US tax return.

TurboTax does not support dual status returns.  Also, if you want to file a dual status return. you are not allowed to take  the standard deduction which is $12,200 if you are single.

Taxation of Dual-Status Aliens

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies