Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kimkk01

I left the company and repaid the relocation expenses, including tax assistance. So, I paid taxes for the relocation I returned. How can I claim a refund of the taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I left the company and repaid the relocation expenses, including tax assistance. So, I paid taxes for the relocation I returned. How can I claim a refund of the taxes?

if you repaid the relocation expenses in the same year you got them the adjustment must be reflected on the w-2 for that year. otherwise under IRC 1341 if you repaid that expense in a subsequent year and it was more than $3000 you get the following choices. a) take an itemized deduction on schedule a line 26 for the repayment in the year repaid or b) recompute your taxes for the year you got reimbursed by excluding such reimbursement from your w-2 taxable wages. then in the year repaid you take the amount as a tax credit on schedule 3 line 13d.  note this is based on 2022 forms

Correction you take the amount of reduction in your tax liability as a credit not the amount repaid. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies