Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hundet

I inherited stock from my father's trust after my mother passed away. I donated a portion to Vanguard Charitable foundation. How do I determine the purchase price?

My dad passed away in 1998, but I didn't get the trust money until my mom passed away in 2023.  I just don't know what the purchase price would be.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

I inherited stock from my father's trust after my mother passed away. I donated a portion to Vanguard Charitable foundation. How do I determine the purchase price?

The purchase price for the donation of inherited stock would be the stock basis when you inherited it, not the original purchase price. You would be limited to deducting your basis in the stock because you held it for less than a year.

The basis of inherited property is generally the fair market value (FMV) of the property at the date of the individual's death, unless the estate uses an alternate valuation. This is called the "step-up-basis."

The stock would have a step-up basis from 1988 when your father passed, but that would be adjusted to the FMV as of the date your mother passed. Most stockbrokers can provide you with historical stock prices for this purpose.

For more info, see IRS Pub 551 Inherited Property Basis

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies