Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I inherited farm land in 1995, I am selling it now. Will I have to pay taxes on the proceeds of the sale?

the sell is less than $ 200,000
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I inherited farm land in 1995, I am selling it now. Will I have to pay taxes on the proceeds of the sale?

Any profit would be added to your income. 

Will I have to pay taxes on the proceeds of the sale?

Yes, most likely, depending upon the difference between the sales price (less selling expenses) and your basis in the property (most likely the fair market value at the time you inherited the property.)

Whether or not you actually owe any capital gain tax would be dependent upon your other taxable income and the amount of gain from the sale.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Will I have to pay taxes on the proceeds of the sale?

A. You will not have to pay tax on the gross sale amount or the "proceeds" (net cash received).  What you will pay tax on is the capital gain realized from the sale.

The capital gain is the difference  between net sale amount and your "cost basis".  Cost basis is usual what you invested in (paid for) the property. But, in the case of inherited property, your cost basis is the fair market value on the date of death of the decedent. 

So, for example, you sold it for $200,000 and it was worth $120,000 in 1995, you have a taxable gain of $80,000.  Long term capital gains are taxed at special low rates. Some of it could actually be "taxed" at 0%. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies