Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alan78

I have qualified dividends from a foreign company(no taxes withheld) and nondividend distributions from a U.S. company this year. Will TT Premier walk me through it?

The foreign company is in Switzerland and the U.S. company is a timber REIT...if this matters.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I have qualified dividends from a foreign company(no taxes withheld) and nondividend distributions from a U.S. company this year. Will TT Premier walk me through it?

Yes. Your qualified div will be entered as part of the 1099-DIV entry. A U.S. REIT would also normally be a 1099-DIV. You could receive a 2439 instead - if the company chose to keep their long term gains and pay tax.

Any non-dividend distributions can be entered based on the form received. 

If your return has more than listed above and becomes too complicated for Premier, the program will tell you to upgrade, a simple click and everything is instantly in the upgraded software.

Reference: About Publication 550, Investment Income and Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
alan78

Thanks, Amy.

Regarding the foreign dividends, and any taxes that would have to be paid, can this process be completed entirely with TurboTax or is there some “legwork” that I need to do first(other than having my brokerage documents ready)?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes. When you receive your 1099-DIV there is not a problem with entering the information for your tax return.  TurboTax can handle your tax situation.

A nondividend distribution is a distribution that is not paid out of the earnings and profits of a corporation. Any nondividend distribution you receive is considered a return of your capital or investment and is not taxable to you until you recover your cost basis in the  financial asset or  stock.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies