Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

big-e15

I have a real estate business, which is best to file individual expenses or mileage, or both?

i have tires, insurance and gas. or would mileage be better and is there a criteria for mileage
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

I have a real estate business, which is best to file individual expenses or mileage, or both?

You have the option to take standard mileage or actual expenses.  You can enter both and choose the option that is best for your situation.   The standard is simplified and includes depreciation.   You have to keep detailed records for either deduction.  

If you want to use the standard mileage rate method in any tax year, you must do so in the first tax year you use your car for business. In later years, you can choose to switch back and forth between the methods from year to year. Each year, you’ll want to calculate your expenses both ways, and then choose the method that yields the larger deduction and greater tax benefit to you. If you use the actual expense method in the first year, you are required to continue to use this method for that specific vehicle in future years.

In this link, you’ll find an easy-to-follow road map to choosing the best method for you, this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies