twilley

I have a payment arrangement for old medical bills but not in collections, l make a monthly payment, is this tax deductible?

ee-ea

HelenC12

Yes, the payments that you made in tax year 2022 are deductible medical expenses. 

The deduction value for medical expenses varies because the amount changes based on your income. In 2022, the IRS allows all taxpayers to deduct their total qualified unreimbursed medical care expenses that exceed 7.5% of their adjusted gross income if the taxpayer uses IRS Schedule A to itemize their deductions.

• Your adjusted gross income (AGI) is your total income subject to tax from your tax return minus any adjustments to income, such as contributions to a traditional IRA and deductible student loan interest.

Related information: Where do I enter my medical expenses?

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing