Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a food trailer and bought a lot of food for the solar eclipse, I had 3 sales, can I write off all of the food even though it was not used?

The concession trailer is not used continuously, specific events only, I did not have any other events afterwards to use the food for. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a food trailer and bought a lot of food for the solar eclipse, I had 3 sales, can I write off all of the food even though it was not used?

Possibly, this depends on what you did with the food.  If you threw it out or it spoiled then it can be written off.  To do this you will 

1. go to the Business Summary
  2. Click Start or Update next to Inventory/Cost of Goods Sold
  3. Yes, I have inventory to Report then Continue
  4. Choose your inventory valuation method (cost is used by most small businesses)
  5. Enter your beginning and ending inventory
  6. Enter the costs where it says Costs of Purchases.  For any food you personally used or donated you will enter that under Purchases Withdrawn for Personal Use.

Note: If you used any of it for personal use you will not get any type of Write off for it what you used or donated. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Possibly, this depends on what you did with the food.  If you threw it out or it spoiled then it can be written off.  To do this you will 

1. go to the Business Summary
  2. Click Start or Update next to Inventory/Cost of Goods Sold
  3. Yes, I have inventory to Report then Continue
  4. Choose your inventory valuation method (cost is used by most small businesses)
  5. Enter your beginning and ending inventory
  6. Enter the costs where it says Costs of Purchases.  For any food you personally used or donated you will enter that under Purchases Withdrawn for Personal Use.

Note: If you used any of it for personal use you will not get any type of Write off for it what you used or donated. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies