Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hartski1

I had property damage as a result of a storm. I got estimates for repairs. My insurance covered a small portion. FEMA contributed some. Where do I report the FEMA $?

I'm assuming my 'Cost Basis' would be the estimate amounts for repairs.  Do I enter FEMA disbursements in the Insurance Reimbursement box under Personal Property - Information?  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I had property damage as a result of a storm. I got estimates for repairs. My insurance covered a small portion. FEMA contributed some. Where do I report the FEMA $?

To report the Casualty Loss, take the amount you got from insurance, plus FEMA, and report that total as 'FMV Before Event'.  

The 'FMV After Event' is $0.

Report the total amount you were reimbursed, and the event is then a wash.

If you were out for your Insurance Deductible, or you contributed your own funds to the repairs (in addition to what you were reimbursed), you can add that amount to the FMV 'before event'.

In that case, you have a loss for the amount of your deductible and/or what you paid out-of-pocket.  This is reported on Schedule A, however, so isn't deductible unless you are Itemizing Deductions. 

Here's more info in IRS Pub. 515.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies