Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had a home gave to me by my parents. I sold it in less than two years. do i pay gains tax

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DexterS

I had a home gave to me by my parents. I sold it in less than two years. do i pay gains tax

Sorry, in order for the gain to be excluded it must be your principal residence for two of the last five years.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DexterS

Sorry, in order for the gain to be excluded it must be your principal residence for two of the last five years.

my dad gifted it to me as an inheritance
. do i still pay?
DexterS

You may also qualify for a partial exclusion based upon several circumstances.

See IRS Publication 523 for the rules for a Partial Exclusion.

DexterS

Yes you would still potentially have a taxable gain, it doesn't matter how the property was transferred.

But wait a minute - Gift and Inheritance are not the same thing.

If he "gifted" it to you, he transferred it to you prior to his death.  Your cost basis for calculating whether there was a gain or loss is his cost basis.  If it was a gift you might have a very substantial capital gain depending on how long he owned the property.

If you "inherited" the property your cost basis is it's "fair market value" on his date of death.  If it was only a few years ago you might have a very small gain, or even a loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies