Solved: I gave my son my 2002 home in 2017. The mortgage co. issued a loan to him. We signed all the docs at the title company. No money passed hands. Is this considered a sale ?

I gave my son my 2002 home in 2017. The mortgage co. issued a loan to him. We signed all the docs at the title company. No money passed hands. Is this considered a sale ?

Please remember no money passed hands. All docs. were signed and stamped.

This would be considered a gift to your son.

A gift of over $14,000 (does not have to be cash, can be a home) in 2017, requires a Gift tax return.

A gift return can be filed (without having to pay tax) using up part of the Estate tax exemption.

I would consult with an Estate tax expert.