Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cri102

I don't understand what they are asking with "would you like to take your standard deduction instead of your larger itemized deductions?"

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I don't understand what they are asking with "would you like to take your standard deduction instead of your larger itemized deductions?"

There are certain instances in which a taxpayer may be required to take the standard deduction, even if it is financially disadvantageous. For example, if you are Married Filing Separately, and your spouse has filed taking the standard deduction, then you must also take the standard deduction.

Please see https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc501.html for more information about itemizing deductions.

If you are certain that there is no requirement for you to take the standard deduction, then you may answer "no" to the question, and take the larger itemized deduction.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

There are certain instances in which a taxpayer may be required to take the standard deduction, even if it is financially disadvantageous. For example, if you are Married Filing Separately, and your spouse has filed taking the standard deduction, then you must also take the standard deduction.

Please see https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc501.html for more information about itemizing deductions.

If you are certain that there is no requirement for you to take the standard deduction, then you may answer "no" to the question, and take the larger itemized deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies