Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I do not have to repay first-time home buyer credit this year. It is not showing me my $500.00 difference. What do I need to do to get this back on my taxes this year?

I amended my return 2017. I found out in 2018 it sold. I got the letter back from the IRS as well as $500.00. I no longer have to report this do I? I am not seeing my $500.00 difference on taxes this year filing. What do I need to do? I looked on the IRS website under first time home buyer and it shows my husband and I both owe $0.00. How do I get repayment back?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I do not have to repay first-time home buyer credit this year. It is not showing me my $500.00 difference. What do I need to do to get this back on my taxes this year?

Your question is confusing ... when did the house sell ?  When did it stop being your personal residence ?   Did you amend the 2017 return ?  Did you skip the form 5405 section this year ?

2017 yes amended 2017 return. Got credit back for overpayment.yes I skipped the form this yea. Do I have to continue to complete that form?

Then you are done ... you will never complete that section of the program again and there is nothing more for you to get back.

Now I have a weird question for you. So before I amended my 2017 taxes. It showed I owed the first time home buyer credit of course. After all calculations it said I would get back $300.00. I amended the 2017 got to show I no longer owed it. Got $500.00 refund back. Wouldn’t my refund go up to $800.00 if I no longer have to do that portion?

Ok ... only look at the 1040X for the new refund amount and ignore the Refund-O-Meter but the short answer is you already got the $300 ... now you get the $500 for the amount you should not have paid to begin with ... you do not get the $300 again.

If you complete the first time homebuyer section, it will ask you if you still live in the home. Since you will answer no, that you moved out or sold the home previously, the program will exit the interview and not add the $500 repayment to your tax return. Or, you can simply skip the interview at this point. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies